Our program is designed to introduce the wonderful world of ice skating to skaters of all ages in a fun and engaging environment. Pepsi Ice Center’s Learn to Skate program is here to meet the needs of our customers, whether you wish to pursue figure skating, hockey or enjoy the recreational side of learning to skate. Each level teaches skills that enhance basic coordination, balance and movement in a fun and entertaining atmosphere. At the end of each session, skaters will demonstrate skills to the instructor before moving to the next level. Instructors will evaluate students and give participation reports to skaters at the end of each season.
Not sure where to start, or what level to continue with? Click Here!
For more information, please contact 309/434.2877
- Snowball 1 - 3 Ages 3 – 5: The snowball program is designed to introduce basic skating skills to young skaters through on ice games and stories.
- Blades 1 – 6 Ages 6 – 12: The Blades program is designed for skaters to learn the essential skills for ice skating. The six level curriculum introduces the fundamental moves: forward skating, backward skating, stops, edges, crossovers, turns and mohawks. Upon completion of the Blades program, skaters will have knowledge of the sport, enabling them to advance to more specialized areas of ice skating.
- Teen/Adult Ages 13 and older: The Teen/Adult curriculum is designed for the beginner adult skater. It will promote physical fitness and improve balance and coordination while teaching proper skating techniques. Adult skaters will progress at an individual rate while being challenged and motivated.
- Jump and Spin Class: Freestyle class is divided into 3 levels where skaters will learn jumps, spins and gliding elements that increase in difficulty as they advance. Skaters are required to purchase their own freestyle skates and dress in figure skating attire.
- Theatre on Ice: Learn to Skate student (Blade 2 and up) are eligible to sign up for a 6 week session that will introduce them to Theatre on Ice! Skater will learn to perform as a group through choreographed exercises and movement.
- Summer Power Classes
- On-Ice: Increase your skating power, edges, posture and technique!This class is a new technical power class which is figure skating specific. It will offer freestyle skating techniques, crossover drills, stroking exercises and power cord exercises to help skater alignment, position and improve posture awareness.
- Off Ice: This class is intended to strengthen figure skater’s stamina with conditioning, agility drills and off ice jump techniques. Students will work with resistant bands, kettle bell weights and balancing balls. (Participants must wear athletic attire and tennis shoes)
Helpful Learn-to-Skate Information
- Arrive at the rink 15-20 minutes early to collect your rental skates and prepare for your lesson. Pepsi Ice Center skate rental employees will assist you with proper sizing.
- Please make sure young children use the restroom before class starts.
- Wear long pants (no shorts), jacket or sweater, socks, and gloves or mittens. Dress in layers of clothing. Clothes should not restrict movement.
- Helmets (bike, hockey, etc.) are strongly recommended for children under six, and should have a snug fit.
- Classes will only be made up if the rink cancels a class. Pepsi Ice Center Learn-to-Skate staff reserves the right to cancel any class, combine classes, change instructors on any class and move students to a different class level based upon instructor evaluation.